MoBBallet IS HIRING!!!
POSITION: Grants Director
Memoirs of Blacks in Ballet (MoBBallet) is seeking a seasoned Grants Director – with a passion for ballet and a commitment to social justice – who wants to help the organization double the size of its annual budget, from $250,000 to $500,000. This is a part-time, project based position offering up to 20-30 hours per month. MoBBallet is in an exciting period of expansion and looking to build a strategy for significantly increasing contributed revenue. This is a perfect position for someone who enjoys working with autonomy and wants to make an impact in diversifying the ballet world both offstage and onstage.
MoBBallet is an 8 year old startup that has earned the respect of the international dance and performing arts world. MoBBallet is a place where vision, ingenuity and reimagining systems are foundational tenants. Founded by journalist and former ballerina Theresa Ruth Howard, MoBBallet is a fiscally sponsored organization that preserves, presents and promotes the contributions of Blacks in ballet. The digital platform includes an archive of historical information (a timeline and dancer biographies), digital installations, and learning tools.
MoBBallet is a leader in advocacy for diversity in ballet and regularly consults with ballet leadership internationally. We specialize in creating safe spaces where organizations and their leadership can engage in authentic dialogue, receive education, and strategize ways to create sustainable change in their organization and in the field.
Learn more about MoBBallet here: https://mobballet.org/
Grant Writer Responsibilities:
- Create a strategy in collaboration with MoBBallet Founder to grow grants revenue from $80,000 to $350,000 annually
- Develop an annual foundation plan, including identifying each funder that will be solicited, determining project alignment, drafting correspondence and proposals, and managing submission deadlines while simultaneously ensuring the fundraising tactics are rooted in organizational values of equity, relationship building, and belonging
- Partner with MoBBallet Founder and Administrator on strategic planning, especially contributed revenue growth and the creation of a physical MoBBallet Institute
- Drive contributed revenue growth for general operations as well as program support for Pathways to Performance, Constellation Project, Equity Coalition, Symposium in Miami, and MoBBallet Institute
- Actively research new funding opportunities that align with MoBBallet’s mission and vision
- Write high quality proposals that advance MoBBallet’s organizational priorities and frame a compelling case for the requested contribution, articulate goals and outcomes, develop grant budgets, and gather relevant data and information to support grant applications
- Craft letters of inquiry, grant applications, support materials, presentation reports, acknowledgment letters, and cultivation materials, ensuring all materials submitted are consistent and comply with grantor guidelines
- Oversee cultivation and stewardship activities for current and prospective funders, including providing the Founder with talking points for meetings and phone calls and suggested language for emails to ensure each funder receives personalized touch points throughout the year
- Participate in panel reviews, informational sessions, and meetings with current and prospective funders
- Host bi-weekly meetings with MoBBallet’s Founder and Administrator to review funding priorities and grant strategies
- Ensure all proposals are vetted by MoBBallet’s Founder, Administrator, and fiscal sponsor Pentacle before submission
- Work with Administrator on creation of program and organizational budgets to share with funders as well as program data collection
Fee $80 – $100/hour
Qualifications / Skills:
- Commitment to community-centered and anti-oppressive models of fundraising
- Growth-oriented driver who owns their area of responsibility
- Strategic and nuanced thinking, including the ability to synthesize information and concepts and transform it into a compelling case for support
- A creative problem solver who finds alignment and leaves no stone left unturned
- Superb written and oral communication skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to develop and manage detailed work plans under strict deadlines
- A desire to work collaboratively and in-partnership
- A proven track record of success in grant writing through funded projects and initiatives
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Media, or related field
Minimum of five years of grant writing experience
Background in ballet, contemporary dance, or the performing arts preferred
Commitment to centering Black lives and engaging in conversations about race, diversity, equity, inclusion, and art
MoBBallet is a Black founded and led organization and is organically a diverse and inclusive environment. We are proud to offer equal opportunities to all who work on behalf of MoBBallet. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the field of ballet are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and at least one grant writing sample to Theresa@mobballet.org, subject line: “Grants Director Application.”