Sylvester Campbell leaves the Dutch National Ballet
In 1970, Sylvester Campbell left the Dutch National Ballet after 10 years with the company where he was often in the lead roles. He helped Raven Wilkinson join the ballet in 1967 as well.
Dance Theatre of Harlem premieres are Jacobs Pillow
Dance Theatre of Harlem made its first public appearances at the Pillow in 1970, just one year after it was founded and prior to its New York debut.
Other Happenings in 1970
- Mar 1st The US bans commercial whale hunting
- Mar 12th The US lowers the voting age from 21 to 18
- May 4th Four students were killed at Kent State University while protesting the Vietnam War by the Ohio National Guard.
- Jan 15th Muammar Gaddafi becomes Premier of Libya
- Feb 11th Japan becomes the fourth country to launch a satellite into orbit.
- June 4th Tonga declares independence from the UK
Arts and Science
- Jan 25th The film M*A*S*H premiers
- Feb 21st The Jackson 5 make their television debut on “American Bandstand”
- Mar 30th Miles Davis releases “Bitches Brew” album
- June 3rd First artificial gene synthesized
- June 23rd PBS starts broadcasting
- June 9th Bob Dylan receives honorary Doctorate of Music from Princeton University
- June 17th Polaroid Camera is patented by Edwin Land
- Sept 19th The Mary Tyler Moore Show premiers on CBS
- Nov 17th Douglas Engelbart receives the patent for the computer mouse.
Human and Civil Rights
- May 14th Two students are killed by police in a racial disturbance at Jackson State University in Mississippi
- Charles Gordone is the first African American playwright to win a Pulitzer Prize for his play “No Place to be Somebody”
- Jan 17th Willie Mays named Player of the Decade for the 1960s
- May 12th Ernie Banks hits 500th home run
- May 17th Hank Aaron becomes 9th player to hit 3,000 hits
- Sept 23rd First NYC Marathon held, Gary Muhrcke won at 2:31:39